skip to primary navigationskip to content

Health and safety and insurance

Health and safety

The University takes health and safety seriously therefore we take certain measures to ensure that we exercise our duty of care when students are on their internship.

The Engineering Department health and safety process for students is:

  • On arrival at the Department, all students are given a briefing by the Health and Safety Officer regarding the potential hazards and dangers within the Department. Emphasis is given during the talk that these hazards and dangers also exist outside the Department.
  • All students undertaking an internship to meet the course requirements will be issued with a report template which contains information on Health and Safety, a checklist and a letter for any prospective employer outlining our responsibilities.
  • The Department of Engineering employs a full time Health and Safety Officer who can advise on any matters relating to Health and Safety. Should you need any specific help or advice, his office is Room INO-11 or you can him.

Work permit regulations for undergraduate vacation work

For Non-EU undergraduate registered on a UK course, on a Tier 4 visa, who is expected to return to their studies (not graduating at the end of this academic year), has the right to work in the UK out of term time without a work permit.

Further information is available on the UK Government Home Office website.  There is a general page which covers visa and immigration requirements for Non EU students here

The government has a useful webpage providing information about the Tier 4 (general) visa. It also has a link to a detailed PDF document of which the Can students work whilst in the UK?' (page 72)  is relevant to our students.


As the employer, it is your duty of care to look after the student(s) while he/she/they are working with you (paid or unpaid). There are no special insurances required to host a student but it is expected that the company will be registered with the FSA and have Employer Liability and Public Liability (as is standard practice for UK businesses) or the equivalent if in another country. Click on the following link for further information:

This is also a good place for information: