skip to primary navigationskip to content

Tripos Regulations

Tripos Regulations

The Tripos regulations state that: ‘to obtain honours in Part IIA of the Engineering Tripos or the Manufacturing Engineering Tripos, a candidate must satisfy the Examiners that he or she has such industrial or equivalent experience as shall be determined by the Faculty Board’.

Faculty Board Requirements

The Faculty Board of Engineering have agreed that, apart from the exception detailed below, students should be required to complete a minimum of six weeks of relevant industrial or equivalent experience by the end of Part IIA of the Engineering or Manufacturing Engineering Triposes (by June in their third year).  

Students who transfer to Part IIA of the Engineering or Manufacturing Engineering Triposes from another Tripos must complete a minimum of four weeks of relevant experience by the end of Part IIA. See the note on the definition of industrial or equivalent experience below for information about what would constitute ‘relevant’ experience.


Definition of relevant industrial or equivalent experience

Relevant industrial or equivalent experience is defined as work of a technical nature that is related to the subjects studied in the Engineering Tripos and the Manufacturing Engineering Tripos. It may involve research, design, development, testing, manufacturing, fabrication or construction-related work and should include interaction with the work of others who are likely to be professionally qualified.

Students who have undertaken any relevant experience prior to their arrival may be able to count it towards the requirement and should seek confirmation from the Industrial Placements Coordinator. A counter-signed report will be necessary to show as evidence.

Any dispute concerning the interpretation of these requirements will be determined by appeal to the Head of the Department of Engineering, whose decision will be final.


Note for students who wish to transfer to Part IIA from other Triposes

Students who wish to transfer to Part IIA of the Engineering or Manufacturing Engineering Triposes from another Tripos must seek advice from the Industrial Placements Coordinator before applying to transfer. The Coordinator will advise whether any vocational experience which they have undertaken to date can be counted towards the industrial or equivalent experience requirement.


Verification of your internship

To ensure you pass the industrial experience requirement of the course, a report which has been verified, signed and dated by a representative of the organisation must be submitted to the Industrial Placement Coordinator after your placement has been completed. A template log book is available for you to use, although a signed and dated letter outlining the dates and tasks performed would suffice.

The detail must include:

  • Your name and college
  • The dates of the placement
  • A description of your activities, preferably in the context of the company' activities
  • A signature from your supervisor or someone who can verify your work
  • Points of contact, including job title and an email address

The Industrial Placement Coordinator can credit relevant industrial experience undertaken prior to arrival at the Engineering Department. If you have already completed some work and you’re unsure if it meets the criteria, consult the Industrial Placement Coordinator.

Your industrial placement must be completed and your report signed off by the Industrial Placement Coordinator before completing the Engineering or Manufacturing Engineering Part 2A Tripos (3rd year).