skip to content

Industrial Placements


Health and safety

The University takes health and safety seriously therefore we take certain measures to ensure that we exercise our duty of care over you when you are on an internship.

The Engineering Department health and safety process for students is:

  • On arrival at the Department, all students are given a briefing¬†by the Health and Safety Officer regarding the potential hazards and dangers within the Department. Emphasis is given during the talk that these hazards and dangers also exist outside the Department. Students in Year Two will be given a refresher.
  • Students complete a risk assessment form prior to going on a placement. This must be completed by undergraduates who will be working away from the University of Cambridge. If you are undertaking an internship, whether to meet the Industrial Experience requirement, a risk assessment must be completed.

The form should be submitted on Moodle, ideally 2-3 months in advance of the activity, or as soon as possible. You must inform us of any changes to plans following submission of the form.

If you are staying in University accommodation and undertaking University related work (i.e. UROP) you DO NOT have to complete a risk assessment.

  • All students undertaking an internship to meet the course requirements will be issued with a report template which contains information on health and safety, a checklist and a letter for any prospective employer outlining our responsibilities.
  • The Department of Engineering employs a full time Health and Safety Officer who can advise on any matters relating to health and safety. Should you need any specific help or advice, the Health and Safety office is Room INO-11 or you can

In the UK any organisation over five people is legally required to register with the Health and Safety Executive and they are subject to the possibility of inspection. Employers and Public Liability Insurance is compulsory and the certificates must be publicly displayed. Copies of of the Deparment's policies are located in several public areas. If you are in any doubt as to whether the company has insurance or not, ask to see the certificates.

Students working abroad are subject to the health and safety policies of each different country and these will vary accordingly. You are strongly advised to take out travel insurance and, if you are in any doubt about your personal insurance, you are advised to take out this as well. The organisation should outline its liabilities to you in a contract or on your arrival. The University's policy will cover you for Third Party Liability only, and not any injury to you.


As an employer, it is their duty of care to look after you while you are working with them (paid or unpaid). There are no special insurances required to host a student but it is expected that the company will be registered with the FSA and have Employer Liability and Public Liability (as is standard practice for UK businesses) or the equivalent if in another country.

This is a good place for information: