skip to primary navigationskip to content

Non-UK students

Non-EU students on a Tier 4 visa

If you are an undergraduate registered on a UK course, and are expected to return to your studies, it is normal for you have the right to work in the UK out of term time without a work permit.

If any employer requires further information you should refer them to the UK Government Home Office website.  There is a general page which covers visa and immigration requirements for Non EU students here

The government has a useful webpage providing information about the Tier 4 (general) visa. It also has a link to a detailed PDF document of which the Can students work whilst in the UK?' (page 66)  is relevant to our students.

Advice from the University International Students office


How will Brexit affect me?

If you’re an EEA national, you may find it helpful to click here to read up to date information on GOV.UK and the UK Government’s offer for EU citizens following the result of the EU referendum. The University are keeping abreast of the situation and the current advice can be found at Brexit: Analysis and FAQs


National Insurance Number

When you work for an employer, it is a legal requirement for you to pay Income tax and National Insurance. If you are not a UK resident, you will need to apply for a National Insurance (NI) number. This is sometimes printed on the back of your biometric residence permit (BRP).

You do not need to apply for a National Insurance number if you already have one or one is printed on your BRP.

To apply for a National Insurance number, you need to visit the HM Revenue and Customs website:

You may end up paying too much tax as you are unlikely to earn the required amount to meet the annual tax threshold. To get this money back, you may be able to claim a refund from the HMRC.